top of page
IRELAND'S LEADING RETAILER FOR OVER 75 YEARS!
Established in 1947, Herron & Son Ltd is Ireland’s leading retail wholesaler.
Since its inception, Herron & Son Ltd have been renowned for offering a comprehensive range of products to the retail merchant trade.
Although a specialist in the supply of quality wire fencing products we have thousands of product lines that fall under many different categories. We are pleased to provide you with our brand new catalogue and we believe it will be a useful aid to any retail buyer.
We deliver nationwide with our own transport in conjunction with our sales team’s call cycle, while we also offer next-day delivery.
" I Sell Buckets"
“I sell buckets,” the late Neil J. Herron replied in his inimitable understated way to those who asked what he did for a living. It was typical of one of Sligo’s most prominent businessmen who was founder and former Managing Director of Herron & Son Ltd., general hardware wholesalers, importers and distributors.
A native of Glenfin, County Donegal, Mr. Herron provided employment in Sligo for more than forty years and always appreciated the dedication and loyalty of his staff. He in turn was recognised as a meticulous businessman, a keen strategist and a larger than life figure of huge energy and generosity.
Educated in Glenfin and at Finn College, Ballybofey, Neil might have persued a career in journalism after writing various articles for local newspapers.
However, he took up a position as bookkeeper with the O’Toole’s hardware and grocery outlet in Tourmakeady, County Mayo, after completing a course in accountancy. He remained there for a number of years before moving to Sligo for the first time in the early 1940’s to work in the former Greene & McNeice firm in High Street, where he again worked in bookkeeping and in management.
In 1947 Neil and his great life-long friend Eugene Banks set up Herron & Banks, hardware shop. Neil married his late wife Kitty (nee Queenan) in 1949 and they had one son, Terence. Eugene continued to develop the business from Market Street and expanded into furniture, and Neil went on the road developing a wholesale business selling to retailer’s shops. He initially didn’t drive and used the late Jim Feehily’s taxi to get him around to areas stretching from Skreen to Donegal.
Jim eventually taught Neil how to drive and is said to have been very nervous when he waved him farewell in his first new car. Neil maintained his focus on the wholesale side and opened Herron & Son at the corner of Union Street in 1956.
He then moved the business to High Street beside the former Bonne Chere premises. In 1973 he purchased the old chip basket factory at Finisklin, which he transformed into a modern style warehouse and distribution depot. Herron & Son earned a reputation as a renowned wholesaler supplying builder’s providers, hardware merchants and agricultural co-operatives throughout Ireland.
Most of the staff were with Neil from the start and there was a real sense of family within the business. Neil travelled extensively all over the world and was a man with a keen eye for good value and a bargain, and his negotiating skills were legendary. Passionate about his business, it prospered under his astute stewardship though Neil was quick to recognise the importance of the input of his management and staff and often commented that the collective determination and commitment of all involved was the real recipe for undoubted success.
To recognise the contribution of his staff Neil regularly organised day trips to Donegal for dinner dances and there was plenty of craic on the bus journey home, usually in the early hours of the morning. These trips developed into weekends away in Dublin and London for staff, and partners. To celebrate the 40th anniversary of Herron’s, Neil brought his staff to Jersey for a holiday and there was also a trip to Lourdes for staff and their families.
Neil sold the business to his General Manager of almost twenty years, Margaret Ford, in 1990 on his retirement.
bottom of page